Wow it's a crazy day. It's a
hard realization that this will be my last email as young sister
missionary from the Temple Square mission. I wish I could say that I'm giggles
and fun, but today has been pretty hard.
We learned this morning that
Robert, the progressing investigator I we've been teaching may not be sincere after
all. When talking about him, some other sisters in the Call Center heard and
said they've taught him before, and that many sisters have talked to him. This
happens on a somewhat regular basis. Members, for some crazy reason, like to
waste our time by calling in and pretending to be investigators. We're not sure
if that's what's happening here, but through prayer and some digging with the
other sisters, we'll decide what to do.
I also learned that Alana, my
friend from Scotland that we taught and got baptized, is not sure she wants to
be a part of the church anymore. She wrote me an email just now and told me as
such. Sister Chang told me as well, but she's not sure what happened yet, she
wants to show me the emails and see if I understand. (She thinks it has
something to do with the English barrier.)
No news on Erica yet on whether
she's baptized or not, or how she's doing; she has not answered any of our
phone calls or texts.
On a more positive note, I did
have a tender mercy this week. I called Sharon. She is a woman I met a year ago
at Temple Square and we had an amazing walking lesson. Sound familiar? Well, I
did call her this week and as soon as I called I said "I don't know if you
remember me...." And she said, "Of course I remember you!!! You are
one special lady!!" That warmed my heart.
Yesterday we had a zone
meeting. Earlier this week we had Zone Leader Council; President called
it because our sisters are struggling. They're physically "falling
apart" and there's been an air of gloom in the mission. (Honestly the
first part is pretty normal. Especially with Summer semi here semi coming) So
yesterday we had a zone meeting of "Let's go kick Satan's rear!" pump
up and reminded us of the importance of our calling, and the importance of not
complaining. It was completely spirit lead and I surely felt like a mouthpiece
for the Lord. President Gillette told afterwardthe Assistants, "Wow, that
was some powerful teaching." I don't know why we're receiving so much
praise from him, but I'm striving to be worthy of it. How thankful and how much
I love that man.
Sister Imai got home to Japan
safely. We woke up at 3 am to take her to the airport because we were told she had
to be there by 3:20. Turns out the airport doesn't have staff until 4. So we
waited till then, then for her to load up, and then we finally left. But some
silly driver (aka, Sister Lake) forgot which ramp to take and took us to the
middle of nowhere. :) In my defense, I haven't driven to the airport in about 8
months and it was early and dark. Needless to say after an adventure of trying
to find the right ramp, going in the completely wrong direction after given
instruction by a well meaning but ignorant gas station man, we finally made it
home about 5:15. What an adventure!! I couldn't sleep until sometime after
6:15, and we got up at 6:30!! I definitely felt sustained by the Lord that day.
We had a lot of things to do, and I was tired, but utilizing the Atonement, I
was able to keep going. The most important part was that Sister Imai was home
safe. We were worried about her because of the flights, she could barely walk,
and just the travel itself. We're thankful He watched over her too. :)
Thank you all for your support
and your love. In this past 18 months, there have been many of you that have
sent kind notes/letters and they have either sustained me or answered my
prayers. There have been countless prayers in my behalf. Not only have I felt
them, but I have needed them. The saying goes that "it takes a village to
raise a child" or that "behind every good man, there are many women
that have helped make him who he is." I surely feel like both of those
sentiments apply to me as a missionary. I feel like even though my mission is
my own, that there are many I have to thank for helping it be what it is.
In closing, I want to share a
video that I have loved and grown tender feelings for.
http://www.lds.org/pages/mormon-messages?cid=HP000016&lang=eng#moments-that-matter-most
http://www.lds.org/pages/mormon-messages?cid=HP000016&lang=eng#moments-that-matter-most
I know that Jesus Christ is the
Son of God. I know that He died for me, and for you. I know that this is
His gospel, that The Book of Mormon and Holy Bible are His scripture. I know
that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is His church. I know these
things with all that I am. And I have felt His love.
Peter, when he asked the Savior
to call to him that he may walk on the water was an example I have looked to
many times. He had the faith to walk on the water, a feat that perhaps has been
done by no other person other than the Son of God. But when he had fear of the
waves, he looked to them instead and began to sink. I have learned from his
example that as long as I focus on the Savior, the waves will have no power
over me. But when I forget, I must be like Peter, look to the Savior, and allow
Him to pull me above the strength of the waves.
Love Forever and Always,
Sister Lake
P.S. I know that I don't have much longer, but I would
really appreciate a letter or two. I haven't gotten mail (for those that have, thankyou!!)
really these past few weeks, and I gain a lot of strength from your
testimonies and your love.
No comments:
Post a Comment